Kite Scoop Forum

Kite Scoop Forum

Login |  Register

Is Waveriding Tool Or Cool
yes waveriding is sick even if you are hooked in 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
no its definately not unless its ben wilson or vari 29%  29%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Is Waveriding Tool Or Cool???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:27 am 
mantis
i tried going out a few times now in some proper waves on a kite surfboard (lacking waves where im originally from) i couldnt help thinking 'if i smaked that wave as a kicker on a twinny i would get sick pop' and 'i may aswell be surfing' im not knocking it at all and there are sick riders for sure but unless your very good and pushing it unhooked and lets be honest most guys are playing on bows hooked in in the whitewater.....i think its all a bit tool.

vote!

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:48 am 
core whore!
Hate to point this out, but your poll gives me no options.... i meaan its ethier "yes it is sick" or "yeah its gay except vari and ben".... as far as im concerned it is pretty gay, it feels good but for the most part looks wack.
That wave in my pic <<< is unhooked unsttraped, imagine how much better it woulda been for me if i was actually surfing... i wouldnt have been fighting against the kite trying to slow down from mach 12, no matter what kite you got up unhooked you always are gaining aparent speed and trying to slow down. and no roundhouses kinda kill it a bit to i think.

p.s.
you include "vari and wilson" vari is not even close to the same league as wilson, i thinkk tons of local aussie dudes rip just as hard or harder than him.
Wilson is the man though, i didn't think he used to be but he has been working pretty hard at it for some time now and it deffiently shows. Also props to him for actually being able to make some decent movies, i reckon that would be pretty hard.

I think you just gotta do it for the feeling, thats why i do it.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:40 am 
core whore!
I kind of agree with tweak there.. when there is nices waves there no way I will bother to go out with a kite... I just go surfing. period.
In the other hand when waves are mushy it's nice to play with a surfboard and throw a few rollers here there or couple of aerials..
I guess it all depend on conditions, where live there is sometimes a good wind/swell orientation and it is magic with a kite but not very often tho..

Last edited by Jahmaze on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 am 
Site Admin
i'd have to say i agree with you both. its fun, feels great, but i'd still rather be surfing. its one of those things i do when theres nothing else to do, last resort kinda thing.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:38 am 
core whore!
Obviously it's never going to be as free and sick as surfing. If the surf is good I drop anything else that i'm doing for it. But when the surf is blown and you still wanna ride something then kitesurfing is sick. To tell you the truth I rarely go out in the surf with a kite but almost every time the conditions are right for it and i do decide to go out I have tons of fun.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:44 am 
mantis
i put bottom cuz it looks stupid hooked in only looks good unhooked

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 am 
mantis
you need another option on there

"waveriding looks gay EVEN if your WILson"

I havent seen ONE wave riding vid, where I was like "holy shit! thats amazing", it always looks ackward and forced even the god wilson. kitesurfing only looks good in stills.

that said, I love doing it

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Is Waveriding Tool Or Cool???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 pm 
mantis
alias wrote:
i tried going out a few times now in some proper waves on a kite surfboard (lacking waves where im originally from) i couldnt help thinking 'if i smaked that wave as a kicker on a twinny i would get sick pop' and 'i may aswell be surfing' im not knocking it at all and there are sick riders for sure but unless your very good and pushing it unhooked and lets be honest most guys are playing on bows hooked in in the whitewater.....i think its all a bit tool.

vote!

You could basically say the same thing for wakestyle kiting though. We could probably all agree that kiting is a comprimise of the things we wish we could do all the time, surf good waves, snowboard sick powder, or have our own boat on a flat lake.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Is Waveriding Tool Or Cool???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:53 pm 
Either way hooked in or unhooked, it can't be cool if your in boots!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:00 pm 
mantis
a kite is so good for us lazy people, loads of fun in crappy side-on waves., but I agree that paddle surfing is dope compared to surfing with a kite.

Kiteboarding unhooked allow us to smack better, and your harness is like a strait-jacket when hooked. as for style, unhooked, in the best conditions with perfect constant wind is the shinn.

but some riders, like this one can deal with a harness:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=SBP5PdNI8mE

what d'you think ?

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:21 pm 
mantis
He is pretty good. Hooked in doesn't seem to hurt his movement much.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:23 pm 
mantis
true... when theres waves i always have more fun surfing than surfing with the kite.. for now, for me, the kite is for triks,, not the surf

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:38 pm 
mantis
dont compare apples with oranges,

a guy who has been surfing for 2-3 years doesnt look that impresive either from what I+ve seen. Especially not in a crappy surf spot.

but year, often it looks a little bit lame, but feels really good from my limited experience (looks super lame wathcing me haha).

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 pm 
core whore!
Comparing kitesurfing to surfing is sort of the same as wakestyle to wakeboarding (in that we are both kinda copying a sport), but then again not reallly. Lets break down why.

surfing= power flow with the wave/ one with the wave.
kitesurfing= power of kite, 5% wave power/ getting towed around trying to slow down.
wakeboarding= power of boat getting towed off wake/ doing tricks.
kitewake= power of kite getting towed off waves/ doing tricks.

So as you can see the whole essence of kitesurfing is kinda based on a lie/false truth, whereas wakestyle kiting in theory has the same basis as wakeboaarding just a different power source.
:D

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
you thought long and hard on that one diddnt you tweak? :tongue:

Profile  Offline

Troops online